Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yet another appointment...

Brad sent this to family and it works for an update so far (especially since now I'm leaving work at noon today and very busy.)

Ok, so to get everyone caught up...

Last week we got a referral to a Pediatric Cardiologist at Mayo. They did an EKG before the appointment and reviewed it during the appointment. Dr. Porter said that everything looked perfectly normal and based on the descriptions of the events Jamie has had, he thought that we should further investigate reflux as being the culprit. That being said, however, he wanted to make absolutely certain that there wasn't anything going on with the heart, so he ordered a Holter Monitor for Jamie to wear for 48 hours. We just got the results this morning and the doc said that there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about at all with his heart. His lowest heart rate got to the low 80s, but that was while sleeping so nothing to be concerned about. So, as far as we're concerned, one organ officially checked off the list for testing! YAY!

During the conversation with the doc this morning, Jo brought up the fact that we were being sent back to OMC to deal with the potential reflux issue and whatever other testing might need to be done. That's great and all, but OMC feels more comfortable sending us to Mayo to see specialists. So, to avoid jumping a few hoops, Mayo is going to refer us to at least 2 other departments with a follow up to Dr. Porter to see where we need to go after that.

This afternoon we are seeing a Pediatric GI doctor. Not sure what the plan will be for that, but if we didn't get in today, we'd have to wait until May. We also need to make an appointment with Pulmonary to double-check his lung function, but we haven't gotten that far yet. As it seems that all of the docs so far are thinking it's GI related, we're going to get that out of the way first and see where we need to go from there.

Yes, it may seem like we're going overboard on the testing, but we're also very tired of being scared and not knowing what's going on with Jamie. It may be nothing, but until the doctors say it really is nothing, we can't truly relax. So far, the doctors aren't saying it's nothing...it's SOMETHING, they just don't know exactly what. So, more tests and appointments for the little guy.

I'll update you again after the appointment this afternoon.

UPDATE: So we dropped everything today to get Jamie to the doctor by 1:30. However, the doctor's office wasn't expecting us until TOMORROW. Yep, that's right, tomorrow. Today was a completely wasted afternoon because the scheduling department screwed up - they even admitted as much. So, we will be going back tomorrow for the actual appointment, which hopefully will get us moving forward again.

1 comment:

Sunshine Mama said...

Thanks for the updates. And I am with you, it's better to know for sure about something than always wondering.